Health Benefits of Prunes
- Prunes are fat-free food
- One prune has only 25 calories
- Gram for gram, prunes have more potassium than bananas
- One gram of prune provides 3 grams of fiber
- Prunes contain high fiber content and fiber promotes digestive health, which is vital to overall health and disease prevention. So be sure to include plenty of prunes in your diet.
- In a study undertaken by Florida State University, has identified evidence to suggest that prunes could help to build and preserve bone mass hence giving women a natural way to preserve bone mass.
- The health benefits of prunes may also extend to the heart. The antioxidants found in prunes may help to prevent oxidation of cholesterol in the blood stream which could lead to plaque formation in the arteries.
- The high potassium content in prunes helps to normalize blood pressure, while the soluble fiber promotes heart health.
- From a nutritional standpoint, prunes stand out as being an unusually good source of Vitamin A. In fact, a serving of prunes provides almost a quarter of your daily requirement of this important vitamin.
- Prunes are relatively low in calories at about twenty calories per prune.